Moi anonyymi! » Login | Uusi käyttäjä

Frank Zappa : The Eyes Of The Osaka

Jukez kirjoitti noin 7 vuotta sitten (0 kommenttia)
Hieno luenta kyseisestä jo vuonna 1990 alunperin julkaistusta bootlegista. Ei lisättävää!!
Vaikkakin kyseessä ns. yleisöäänitys, ilmeisimminkin johtuen konserttisalin hyvästä akustiikasta, äänenlaatu yllättävän hyvä!
Hienoa kuulla aitoja konserttitallenteita, ilman editointeja yms. jälkistudiotrikkerointeja. Sama pätee Hendrixin osalta myös...

"Disguising himself with a ski mask, and armed with a small revolver..."

What a show this is! Bootlegs, particularly Zappa bootlegs, are fantastic. It's great to hear another album documenting FZ's 1976 world tour, the band also showcased on the Zappa Family Trust releases "Joe's Menage" and "FZ:OZ". This line-up is perhaps best known for featuring the keyboardist Andre Lewis, who lasted only one tour, falling into Zappa band member obscurity alongside Allan Zavod and Bianca Thornton.

I think Frank himself must have enjoyed this perfomance, because segments from it later ended up on various official releases. Terry Bozzio's show-stopping solo from "Chunga's Revenge" later popped up on the third volume of the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series under the name "Hands With A Hammer", and the first section of "Zoot Allures" did too. Now you can hear the full perfomance, without that jarring cut to a solo from 1981! The mesmerising "Ship Ahoy" from "Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar" is taken from this show as well. Best of all is the fact that this album contains the greatest version of "Black Napkins" ever- you get to hear the full unedited version of FZ's solo that eventually appeared on the "Zoot Allures" album plus an awesome saxophone solo! Wowie Zowie!

We are also treated to early versions of later concert staples like "The Torture Never Stops" and "Tryin' To Grow a Chin". Though the riff in the former actually sounds pretty dodgy, it's nice to hear an alternate version of a track i've probably heard about a billion times on about a billion different live records. Other highlights include "Stinkfoot", featuring one of the funniest poodle lectures, and a ripping rendition of "Filthy Habits", which FZ tells the audience is actually written in tribute to the filthy habits of a dog.

Of course, this record isn't perfect. "How Could I Be Such a Fool" is pretty damn overwrought... maybe Frank shouldn't have bothered trying to rearrange old "Freak Out!" tracks, because it never sounded too good (case in point, the rendition of "You Didn't Try to Call Me" that appears on the "Philly '76" album). Though this can hardly be blamed on Frank or his bandmembers, when the audience start clapping along it seriously messes up the sound quality. "I'm The Slime" at times sounds acapella, with a hell of a lot of clappin' (and stompin') in the background. The worst moment has to be during the (otherwise stellar) rendition of "The Illinois Enema Bandit" when upon hearing several audience members laugh during the spoken intro, FZ says "You know what that means? Oh how cute!". Oh how insulting! Way to patronise your loyal Japanese fanbase, Frank.

But the flaws are only very minor and we are left with a bloody fantastic bootleg. Get yer mitts on it now, and get another chance to hear one of FZ's most underrated groups in their prime!

Finally, it might be worth pointing out that the best moment of the entire record is during the aforementioned drum solo from "Chunga's Revenge" when we can hear a group of young Japanese girls shouting Terry's name. Oh how cute!

+/- saldo : 0 |